Prior Excavations

by | May 5, 2023

Falerii Novi has seen excavations and archaeological surveys since the 19th century. These excavation campaigns in the 19th century were focused on monumental structures of the city, such as a forum, theatre, and extramural amphitheater, and yielded high quantities of marble sculpture and inscriptions. In the 20th century, interest became more scholarly and increasingly scientific. Topographers produced new plans, including J.B. Ward-Perkins in 1957 and F. Castagnoli in 1974. The city was covered by the Carta Archaeologica d’Italia in the 1970s. The Soprintendenza Archeologica dell’Etruria Meridionale carried out excavations in 1968, 1970, and 1988; the former two, located west of the forum, remain exposed and constitute one of only two areas where archaeological remains are visible in the city today. The other area is the church, where excavations were carried out by the Gruppo Archaeologico Romano in 1993.

The most recent work of the late 20th and 21st centuries has shifted away from excavation and combined traditional and more technological approaches—pedestrian field survey carried out both within and outside the walls, and a variety of geophysical methods, including magnetometry, ground-penetrating radar (GPR), and LIDAR to study the ancient urban topography. Field walking in the late 1990s led by Simon Keay and Martin Millett produced a preliminary chronology of the site’s occupation from the Republican period into the 5th century. The magnetometry that was carried out with the pedestrian survey first revealed a complete plan for the site, including streets, insulae (apartment buildings), public monuments, and individual properties.

This photo gallery includes a sampling of some of the well-known images of the site produced by previous researchers. The FNP is indebted to those who carried out each and every previous research campaign.

For full references cited, see Falerii Novi Bibliographical Resources.